Review: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice - Ian Littlewood, Hugh  Thomson, Jane Austen

Summary:

Pride and Prejudice is a humorous story of love and life among English gentility during the Georgian era. Mr Bennet is an English gentleman living in Hartfordshire with his overbearing wife. The Bennets 5 daughters; the beautiful Jane, the clever Elizabeth, the bookish Mary, the immature Kitty and the wild Lydia. Unfortunately for the Bennets, if Mr Bennet dies their house will be inherited by a distant cousin whom they have never met, so the family's future happiness and security is dependent on the daughters making good marriages. Life is uneventful until the arrival in the neighborhood of the rich gentleman Mr Bingley, who rents a large house so he can spend the summer in the country. Mr Bingley brings with him his sister and the dashing (and richer) but proud Mr Darcy. Love is soon in the air for one of the Bennet sisters, while another may have jumped to a hasty prejudgment. For the Bennet sisters many trials and tribulations stand between them and their happiness, including class, gossip and scandal.

My opinion:

I didn't like this book so much. The writing style was difficult and annoying. Normally when you read a book, you only see the thoughts (and feelings) of the main character, but that didn't happen. There were soooooo many thoughts of all the characters that it was confusing and it drove me nuts! When Jane Austen wrote about a she or a he I didn't know who she meant half of the time and that's why the story is so confusing. I understood the main storyline line, but that was all I understood.

The storyline itself was okay. It was a bit predictable (except that Lydia and Mr. Wickham thing) and I put down the book so many times! I understand why people like the story back then and why some people do now, but I didn't like it for that reason. I understand it, but didn't like it. That's why I gave this book 3 stars. If I understand a classic why people like it (back then) it always gets a star for me (just one star extra I mean).

I watched the trailer of the 2005 version and I've started watching the movie, but I haven't finish it yet. The movie is definitely better so I suggest you could better watch the movie first. Here's the trailer:

What is your opinion about Pride and Prejudice?