Review: Purple Hibiscus my Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Purple Hibiscus - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Summary:

Purple Hibiscus, Nigerian-born writer Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's debut, begins like many novels set in regions considered exotic by the western reader: the politics, climate, social customs, and, above all, food of Nigeria (balls of fufu rolled between the fingers, okpa bought from roadside vendors) unfold like the purple hibiscus of the title, rare and fascinating. But within a few pages, these details, however vividly rendered, melt into the background of a larger, more compelling story of a joyless family. Fifteen-year-old Kambili is the dutiful and self-effacing daughter of a rich man, a religious fanatic and domestic tyrant whose public image is of a politically courageous newspaper publisher and philanthropist. No one in Papa's ancestral village, where he is titled "Omelora" (One Who Does For the Community), knows why Kambili's brother cannot move one of his fingers, nor why her mother keeps losing her pregnancies. When a widowed aunt takes an interest in Kambili, her family begins to unravel and re-form itself in unpredictable ways.

My opinion:
I give this book 4.75 stars. The story really made me angry and sad, because it's a story that still happens in the world today. This book is very different and unique and it opens your eyes if you knew nothing about that culture.

I think this is a very important book that everyone should have read at least ones in their lifetime. The only reason why I didn't give it 5 stars is because some parts were a little bit slow. I have her two other books as well, so I'm going to read those asap!

What is your opinion about Purple Hibiscus/ do you have this book on your tbr?