Review: Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad

Goodreads summary:

'The mind of man is capable of anything - because everything is in it, all the past as well as all the future. What was there after all? Joy, fear, sorrow, devotion, rage - who can tell? - but truth - truth stripped of its cloak of time. Let the fool gape and shudder - the man knows, and can look on without a wink'

Marlow, a seaman, tells of a journey up the Congo. His goal is the troubled European and ivory trader Kurtz. Worshipped and feared by invaders as well as natives, Kurtz has become a godlike figure, his presence pervading the jungle like a thick, obscuring mist. As his boat labours further upstream, closer and closer to Kurtz's extraordinary and terrible domain, so Marlow finds his faith in himself and civilization crumbling. Conrad's Heart of Darkness has been considered the most important indictment of the evils of imperialism written to date.

My opinion:

I'm still glad I read this book, but I wish Conrad would have told it differently. I think even in a diary form would have been better + if Kurtz was based on a real polician. There were so many good quotes and morals in it though, so that's why I couldn't give it just one star. If there was a movie of it I would have watched that instead of reading the book though...

I understand why it's required reading at so many schools, but I wish it wasn't because if you're a non-reader you probably would not get into reading at all. Conrad could have told the story much better!

What is your opinion about Heart of Darkness?