Review: Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Americanah - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Goodreads summary:

From the award-winning author of ‘Half of a Yellow Sun,’ a powerful story of love, race and identity.

As teenagers in Lagos, Ifemelu and Obinze fall in love. Their Nigeria is under military dictatorship, and people are fleeing the country if they can. The self-assured Ifemelu departs for America. There she suffers defeats and triumphs, finds and loses relationships, all the while feeling the weight of something she never thought of back home: race. Obinze had hoped to join her, but post-9/11 America will not let him in, and he plunges into a dangerous, undocumented life in London.

Thirteen years later, Obinze is a wealthy man in a newly democratic Nigeria, while Ifemelu has achieved success as a blogger. But after so long apart and so many changes, will they find the courage to meet again, face to face?

Fearless, gripping, spanning three continents and numerous lives, ‘Americanah’ is a richly told story of love and expectation set in today’s globalized world.

My opinion:

I really liked it, but I had some problems. One thing is that it was very slowly. The second thing that bothered me was that the topics were discussed over and over again. That much that in the end I was kind of tired about it. The ending was also kind of obvious. Most people also wished that there was more character development and a plot; I agree only a little bit. I wasn't bothered with it so much. I still highly recommend this book, because I do like the blog aspect, some of the topics that were discussed, the love story and that it's about a Nigerian who moves to America. But if you haven't read anything by Adichie yet, I recommend to read Purple Hibiscus first. I still haven't read Half of The Yellow Sun yet, so I can't say which of hers is my favorite (but I think it's going to be Purple Hibiscus).

What is your opinion about Americanah?