Review: Hamlet by William Shakespeare

Hamlet - William Shakespeare

Goodreads summary:

Among Shakespeare's plays, "Hamlet" is considered by many his masterpiece. Among actors, the role of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark, is considered the jewel in the crown of a triumphant theatrical career. Now Kenneth Branagh plays the leading role and co-directs a brillant ensemble performance. Three generations of legendary leading actors, many of whom first assembled for the Oscar-winning film "Henry" V, gather here to perform the rarely heard complete version of the play. This clear, subtly nuanced, stunning dramatization, presented by The Renaissance Theatre Company in association with "Bbc" Broadcasting, features such luminaries as Sir John Gielgud, Derek Jacobi, Emma Thompson and Christopher Ravenscroft. It combines a full cast with stirring music and sound effects to bring this magnificent Shakespearen classic vividly to life. Revealing new riches with each listening, this production of "Hamlet" is an invaluable aid for students, teachers and all true lovers of Shakespeare -- a recording to be treasured for decades to come.

My opinion:

I really liked this play and especially Hamlet. While I was reading this edition, I found out that there's a modern version on Sparknotes, so I decided to read that one instead. It's so much easier to read and understand and those are the reasons that it also reads a lot faster. I also like the morals like you're not going to marry twice and especially not so soon after the first husband dies, it deals with de choices and decisions about being human and also about revenge (of course). Those are the reasons why I don't think this play is over the top or overdramatic (like Romeo and Juliet is compared to a bad mtv tv show) so I really liked this one! I just can't give it 4.5 or 5 stars because I wasn't hooked or blown away by it. Still really liked it and I also highly recommend this one!

What is your opinion about Hamlet?