Review: A Nervous Breakdown (Penguin Little Black Classic #111) by Anton Chekhov

A Nervous Breakdown (Penguin Little Black Classics) - Anton Chekhov

There are three short stories in this collection and this time I decided to show you a really short summary of each one, with my short opinion about and after that my opinion about the entire collection.

I love the first story (A Nervous Breakdown)! This story is written so beautifully and I love the moral in this one!  about a man called Vasilyev. His two friends bring him to a famous prostitute street, but all he can see is how disgusting and wrong that business is. He thinks about it all the time and doesn't understand why this is still a thing and would love to stop it (like why could men think it's okay and see women as animals?), 'cuz he only wants to be in love with a woman. He tries to think of a plan to stop this business, but then gets all mad and gets a nervous breakdown. His friends try to help him but also think he's kinda crazy.

The second story is called The Blank Monk, which is about a man who is bored with life and gets kinda crazy (a black monk ''comes by'' and gives him all the answers about life in general and how to be happy). I really liked this story, the only that bothered me though is why we never get to know what was in the letter at the beginning of this short story. I think that would have made the story even better, if it was explained (even if it was just a little).

The last story, called Anne Round Your Neck was awesome too. It's about an eighteen year old girl marries a fifty-two year old man, just because of his money, but she realizes that money shouldn't be the only thing to marry a man..

Again I loved all of the short stories. Penguin has done a great job when it comes to Anton Chekhov so I highly recommend his both little black classics. It made me want to read more by him now.

Have you ever heard of Anton Chekhov and if yes: have you read something by him? What is your opinion about his works?